In the mood for a great love story? Check out our picks for the ten best timeless love stories. Fine Romances Books in which man meets woman, man woos woman (or, woman woos man) and man and woman live happily ever after are a dime a dozen. Enjoyable, for sure, but not what you'd call memorable. So, the editors at Reader's Digest Select Editions have come up with a list of 10 favorite, and timeless, love stories, each of which goes above and beyond basic romance.
1. The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough (1977) Set in 1915 Australia, this remarkable saga chronicles the forbidden love between a beautiful, headstrong young girl and a priest. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll stay up way too late reading this fabulous story.
2. Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (both 1847) Really, how can you pick one Brontë over the other? Who is more romantic, Heathcliff or Mr. Rochester? Whose moors are mistier, whose foggy English countryside is more moody, whose manor house is more creepy? It's a tie -- both timeless romances are not to be missed.
3. The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje (1992) Haunting and beautiful, Ondaatje's award-winning novel tells the story of four war-damaged souls living in an Italian monastery at the end of WWII, and the love story between two of them, the exhausted nurse Hana, and the severely burned unnamed English patient. Unforgettably unique.
3. 《英国病人（The English Patient ）》 迈克尔·翁达杰著（Michael Ondaatje） ，1992 感人至深、充满魅力，翁达杰这部屡获殊荣的小说讲述了二战结束后，意大利疗养院里四个被战争所伤的灵魂的故事，而其中精疲力竭的护士哈娜和重度烧伤的无名英国病人发生了一段令人难以忘怀的爱情故事。独一无二。
4. True Believers by Nicholas Sparks (2005) The latest 4-hanky love story by the master of sweet, heartwarming romantic tales. This one features a hotshot New York journalist and a plain-speaking Southern librarian, both of whom have been hurt by love before. Their differences are forgotten when love blossoms in this wonderfully escapist romantic read.
5. The French Lieutenant's Woman by John Fowles (1969) A Victorian gentleman is engaged to a wealthy and suitable woman, but when he encounters a beautiful, mysterious woman rumored to be the forsaken lover of a French lieutenant, he becomes utterly smitten. Truly magnificent entertainment.
5. 《法国中尉的女人(The French Lieutenant's Woman )》 约翰·福尔斯著（John Fowles）,1969 一位维多利亚时代的绅士已经与一名门当户对的富有女人订婚了，但是当他遇到一个神秘而惊艳的、据传是被法国中尉抛弃的女人时，他被完全征服了……这是一部作为消遣的鸿篇巨作。
6. Chesapeake Blue by Nora Roberts (2002) Passion abounds in this romance set on Maryland's Eastern Shore, where the rough-hewn Seth Quinn wins over Drusilla, the town's icy beauty. Great characters, great dialogue, fun and steamy scenes. True, Roberts has written a gazillion love stories, but this one is a real standout.
6.《切萨皮克之蓝（Chesapeake Blue ）》 诺拉·罗伯茨著（Nora Roberts ），2002 四溢的激情开始于马里兰州的东部海岸，粗犷小伙塞斯奎因爱上了冰山美人德鲁塞拉。精彩的人物，精彩的对话，趣味横生而热闹非凡的场景。罗伯茨的确已写了无数的爱情故事，但这本书是真正的上乘之作。
7. The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro (1989) An aging butler named Stevens, who has performed his job to perfection for more than three decades, reflects on his life. But underneath his controlled exterior lurks a passionate and romantic soul that has been quashed during his years of unblemished service. In the twilight of his life, Stevens learns what love is all about. A fine literary novel. 7. 《去日留痕（The Remains of the Day ）》 石黑一雄著（Kazuo Ishiguro ），1989
8. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (1877) Trapped in a loveless marriage, Anna Karenina succumbs to temptation and embarks on a dangerous affair with the handsome Vronsky. Tragedy unfolds amid the canvas of 19th-century Russia, in the most famous of doomed love stories. A memorable and enduring classic.
9. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (1991) A powerhouse time-travel romance, this is the first in Gabaldon's hugely successful series. Strong, beautiful Claire Randall leads a double life, married to a man in one century, with a lover in another century. Filled with humor, passion, wit and wonderful Scottish scenery, this is one fast read for a 600-plus page book. Enjoy the wallow!
10. Follow the Stars Home by Luanne Rice (2000) If you choose the wrong love, can you save your life from ruin? Years ago, thirtysomething Dianne married the wrong man -- the sexy lobster fisherman -- and not his kindly pediatrician brother. Years later, after tragedy strikes, can she reverse her bad fortune? Grab your tissues and find out in this touching weeper.
10.《星语指路（Follow the Stars Home）》 卢安妮·莱思著（Luanne Rice），2000 如果你选择了错误的爱情，还能从这废墟中挽救自己吗？多年前，而立之年的戴安娜嫁给了一个错误的男人一个性感的捕虾渔夫，而不是他温和的儿科医生弟弟。多年以后，受到悲剧打击的她还能逆转自己的坏运气吗？掏出纸巾吧，在这部动人的催泪小说中找到答案。