1. The Halloween celebration comes from All Hallows Day or All Saints Day, the 1st of November. This was originally a pagan festival of the dead, but later became a holiday to honor Christian saints.
万圣节的庆祝活动来源于每年11月1日的All Hallows Day 或All Saints Day。它原先是异教徒们纪念死者的节日，但是逐渐演变成一个纪念基督圣者的节日。
2. The name Halloween comes from a contraction of All Hallows Eve (Evening), the day before All Hallows Day. On this night it was believed that the spirits of the dead would try to come back to life!
Halloween就是All Hallows Eve的缩写。而All Hallows Eve(夜晚)是All Hallows Day 的前一天。人们认为在当天晚上，亡者的灵魂会重新复活！
3. Dressing up in costumes is one of the most popular Halloween customs, especially among children. According to tradition, people would dress up in costumes (wear special clothing, masks or disguises) to frighten the spirits away.
Dressing up in costumes是最受欢迎的万圣节风俗之一，尤其是受孩子们的欢迎。按照传统习俗，人们会dress up in costumes（穿戴一些特別的服裝，面具或者装饰）来吓跑鬼魂。
4. Popular Halloween costumes include vampires (creatures that drink blood), ghosts (spirits of the dead) and werewolves (people that turn into wolves when the moon is full).
5. Trick or Treat is a modern Halloween custom where children go from house to house dressed in costume, asking for treats like candy or toys. If they don't get any treats, they might play a trick (mischief or prank) on the owners of the house.
Trick or Treat 是现代万圣节的风俗。孩子们穿着特殊的衣服走街串巷，讨取糖果和玩具之类的赏赐。如果他们得不到任何的赏赐，就可能会对屋主大搞恶作剧或者胡闹了。
6. The tradition of the Jack o' Lantern comes from a folktale about a man named Jack who tricked the devil and had to wander the Earth with a lantern. The Jack o' Lantern is made by placing a candle inside a hollowed-out pumpkin, which is carved to look like a face.
Jack o' Lantern 的传统来自于一个民间传说。一个名叫Jack的人戏弄了恶魔，之后就不得不提着一盏灯在地球上流浪。Jack o' Lantern是用雕刻成脸型，中间挖空，再插上蜡烛的南瓜做成的。
7. There are many other superstitions associated with Halloween. A superstition is an irrational idea, like believing that the number 13 is unlucky!
8. Halloween is also associated with supernatural creatures like ghosts and vampires. These creatures are not part of the natural world. They don't really exist... or do they?